The following are minutes of the monthly SIGCOMM executive committee meeting.

A brief index lists the minutes in a more compact format without overview.

  • 19 September 2013

    Public Minutes for SIGCOMM Executive Committee meeting


    1. Travel grants

  • 8 July 2013

    1. Awards @ SIGCOMM 2013

    There are four SIGCOMM awards:

    The SIGCOMM award goes to Larry Peterson who will also be the keynote speaker at SIGCOMM.

    The test of time award goes to two papers:

    1) "PlanetLab: an overlay testbed for broad-coverage services" by Brent Chun, David Culler, Timothy Roscoe, Andy Bavier, Larry Peterson, Mike Wawrzoniak and Mic Bowman CCR, Volume 33 Issue 3 (July 2003).
    2) "A delay-tolerant network architecture for challenged internets" by Kevin Fall, SICGOMM 2003.

  • 7 November 2011

    1. CCR
     The EC decided that in 2012 we will start to offer 2 membership
    options, "print" (which will continue to include printed copies of
    CCR and the SIGCOMM conference proceedings) and "print-free", which
    will offer all the same benefits except the print journal and proceedings.
    We will slightly increase cost for print members and decrease cost for

    Bruce will work with ACM to revise member benefits statement and

  • 3 October 2011

    1. SIGCOMM 2102
    2012 meeting.  Lars Eggert reports that he has been making progress
    on sponsorship, all other details look solid at this time.

    2. SIGCOMM 2013

    We have received expressions of interest from 3-4 proposal teams and
    should have proposals in hand by the end of October.

    3. Community Projects

    Bruce D. spoke to the SIGCHI chair about their community projects
    fund. They are a little bit ahead of us, having a call for proposals

  • 12 September 2011

    1. SIGCOMM 2011
    We discussed the quality of conference overall, attendance levels, and
    the concerns raised at the Community Feedback Session.

    The consensus of the EC is that it's worth collecting some data to try
    to understand both how the conference is faring and how the field as a
    whole is doing. Henning agreed to collect data about networking
    courses from the Taulbee survey. We may want to do our own survey - we
    agreed to revisit this at the next meeting. We can also look at data

  • 18 August 2011

    1. Grants for Community Projects
    We discussed the possibility that SIGCOMM could offer grants for
    projects that help the community.  Fran Spinola has provided some
    information about what other SIGs have done for reference. We
    discussed a range of projects that might make sense, such as:
     making recordings of a summer school and putting videos online;
     building a database of networking courses and associated materials,
    We agreed that Olivier would draft a CFP for review by the EC.

  • 6 June 2011

    1. Turing event

    Plans are developing for an ACM-sponsored event in honor of the 100th birthday of Turing.  SIGCOMM is being asked to pitch in $22.8k (which is small portion of overall cost of $500k). We agreed that we are happy to contribute, and Bruce will request some more details from Vint Cerf, who has been representing SIGCOMM on the planning committee.

  • 2 May 2011

    1. Awards Chair

  • 14 February 2011

     1. Geodiversity Travel Grants

    The EC discussed a proposal to provide travel grants for SIGCOMM
    attendees from the Indian subcontinent, motivated by the successful
    conference in India in 2010. We had high participation from local
    students and faculty and wish to continue that participation as the
    conference moves on to other locations. The EC concluded that the best
    way to increase participation from India is to increase the overall
    size of our geodiversity grant pool (to $30,000 from $20,000) and to

  • 3 January 2011

    1. Best Thesis Award

    Henning made a few more updates to the proposal. Latest version
    removes requirement that a nominator must be a SIGCOMM member. We
    decided that the  nominated student should be a SIGCOMM member. A
    letter from department chair will be required to insure a single
    nomination from a department. We will align with ACM schedule (Oct 31
    submission deadline) to try to sync-up with as many academic calendars
    around the world as possible and simplify process for departments